Carob Powder, Roasted
Latin name: Ceratonia Siliqua
Health Benefits of Carob Powder
Carob powder is a caffeine-free alternative to cocoa powder for those who are trying to avoid the stimulating affects of caffeine or who are concerned about serving foods to their children that contain caffeine. It is also naturally sweet, whereas cocoa is bitter before adding sweetener.
Carob powder comes from carob pods, which are grown in warm climates. They have been used as food for more than 5,000 years. Carob has a chocolate-like flavor and is used in baking as a cocoa powder replacement.
Carob also has many health benefits which include:
- Very low in oxidates, carob powder is a beneficial cocoa replacement for those at risk of kidney stones.
- Helps treat coughs.
- May help nausea, vomiting, and upset stomach.
- Used as a diarrhea remedy, for adults and children alike.
- Aids digestion.
- Is thought to help prevent lung cancer.
- Lowers cholesterol.
- Better for those with high blood pressure since it is caffeine free.
- Contains twice the amount of calcium as cocoa powder.
- Contains gallic acid, which works as an analgesic, anti-allergic, antibacterial, antioxidant, antiviral, and antiseptic.
Nutritional Benefits of Carob Powder
- Contains high levels of calcium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, and potassium.
- High in protein and fiber, particularly pectin.
- Contains vitamins A, B, B2, B3, and D.
How to Use Carob Powder
- The most common way to use cocoa powder is in baking. You can also of course make a delicious hot cocoa or add some to your morning smoothie!
- Use as a substitute for cocoa powder, in equal proportions.
- Store in refrigerator.
Posted by Kathryn on 16th Nov 2016
I mix this into my milk,tastes just like chocolate,can not tell the difference.
the best thing you can drink before going to bed
Posted by Unknown on 11th Apr 2014
I HAVE FOUND THAT THIS IS GOOD DRINK FOR you in the moring and at night before bed. No caffeine side affects amen.