Latin name: Matricaria chamomilla
Health Benefits of Chamomile Flowers
Chamomile Flowers can be used internally or externally to treat a myriad of ailments. It is one of the best all-around children's herbs and is really quite versatile. Health benefits include:
- Is a great sedative and relaxant. It helps settle the stomach and calm the nerves, and is an excellent nervine for children.
- Used to treat colic, stress, and stomach disorders, especially in children.
- Can be added to bath water to ease pain and itching from skin irritations such as eczema.
- It has great anti-inflammatory properties that can help with ulcers, Crohn’s disease, and colitis.
- Other uses include regulating menstrual flow, inducing perspiration, relieving symptoms from drug and smoking withdrawal, relieving nausea and vomiting, relieving bronchitis, urinary tract infections, headaches, and menstrual cramps.
- Useful in relieving seasonal allergy symptoms.
- Helps to improve appetite.
Nutritional Benefits of Chamomile Flowers
- One of the best herbal sources of niacin, magnesium, and essential fatty acids.
How to Use Chamomile Flowers
- When used internally, taken in tinctures or tea combinations most commonly. It has a delicious apple flavor!
- When used externally, added to bath water.
Cautions and Side Effects of Chamomile Flowers
- If pregnant, use caution as too much chamomile can cause spontaneous abortion. Chamomile is fine in small, weak doses, such as a diluted tea. Just do not overdo.
- Use caution if you have an allergy to ragweed, as chamomile may aggravate the symptoms from these ailments.
- Should not be taken with other sedatives as in can increase the effect.
- Can interfere with blood clotting so do not use in correlation with aspirin or other drugs that have anti-coagulating properties.
Fresh & Flavorful
Posted by Unknown on 3rd Feb 2018
I can smell the aroma of this fresh chamomile even before I open the box it arrives in. I order in bulk and am always pleased to find the bag is filled with whole flowers and not half flowers and half pulverized herb.
Posted by Unknown on 13th Oct 2013
My favorite tea! Such a sweet flavor whenever I need it. Amazing as a bulk herb.