Chaste Tree Berries
Latin name: Vitex angus castus
Health Benefits of Chaste Tree Berries
Chaste Tree Berries, also known as Vitex, is used mainly for the female reproductive system. As a natural flavonoid, it has a progesterone like effect on the body and yet also modulates hormone levels. Health benefits include:
- As a restraining effect on male hormones, it is said that the berries reduce libido in males.
- Acts upon the pituitary gland, reducing the production of certain hormones and increasing the production of others, shifting the balance in favor of the gestagens, hormones that normally condition the body for pregnancy. For this reason it has also found a wide following of users for imbalances of the female reproductive system, especially when they are related to excessive estrogen or xen-estrogen influence, and has been used with great effect in restoring absent menstruation, regulating heavy periods, restoring fertility when caused by hormonal imbalance, relieving PMS tension, and easing the change of menopause.
- Through its effect on the endocrine system, chaste tree berries restore and balance energy stores.
- Has been used externally in tinctures for the relief of paralysis, pains in the limbs, and neuropathic muscular weakness.
- Can be used as a mild substitute for black pepper, and can even be ground in a pepper mill. Not only will the safrole in the pepper be avoided, but the libido may get an attitude adjustment. Many also use it to improve sexual vitality.
- Relieves depression and anxiety related to midlife crisis.
How to Use Chaste Tree Berries
- Can be used in tea and in tincture combinations.
- Has a rather spicy flavor.
- Can also be prepared as a wine or liqueur.
Cautions and Side Effects of Chaste Tree Berries
- Not for use during pregnancy or while nursing.
- Not safe for children.
- Do not use if you are taking dopamine related medications (such as for Parkinson’s disease).
- Avoid if you have a hormone sensitive condition such as breast or ovarian cancer.
Fun Facts About Chaste Tree Berries
- Monks have often used Chaste Tree Berries over the centuries to decrease libido since they are abstinent.