Dong Quai Root
Latin name: Angelica sinensis
Health Benefits of Dong Quai
Dong Quai is a native plant to China and Japan. It is widely used in traditional Chinese medicine, and is often times referred to as "female Ginseng". It is one of the most useful female tonics, although men can use it as well. Health benefits include:
- Is great for the health of the female organs. It helps to regulate the menstrual cycle and prevent menstrual cramping. Can help in treating amenorrhea. Can help to prevent uncomfortable symptoms that come with menopause. Helps to increase vaginal secretions and prevent rashes.
- Excellent for strengthening and balancing the uterus.
- Contains phytoestrogens that help to boost lacking estrogen levels during menopause.
- Not only helps to fill in for missing estrogen, but can also help to lower estrogen if the levels in the body are too high.
- Great for the health of the circulatory system as it boosts blood flow, helps to lower blood pressure, and helps to prevent atherosclerosis. It is also a great blood purifier.
- Helps to dilate blood vessels which make blood flow easier.
- Mildly stimulates and cleanses the liver. This also helps in normalizing hormone levels.
- Helps to relieve stress and control mood swings. It is great for the nervous system.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties that also help in the treatment of arthritis and rheumatism.
- Can be a very effective laxative.
Nutritional Benefits of Dong Quai
- Contains large amounts of Vitamins A, B-12, and E.
- Contains magnesium and calcium and folic acid.
How to Use Dong Quai
- Can be used in tinctures, teas, or encapsulated.
Cautions and Side Effects of Dong Quai
- Do not take if you are pregnant as it is a mild uterine stimulant. Do not use if nursing.
- Not recommended during menstruation as it may stimulate menstrual bleeding. If taken for an extended period, discontinue its use one week before the onset of menses, resuming after menstruation has ceased.
- Men with prostate cancer and women with cancers of the reproductive system should not take this herb.
- Use caution if taking along with other anti-coagulant drugs as it increases the effectiveness of these drugs and can cause excessive bleeding.
- Use caution if you have very fair skin as it can cause extreme sunlight sensitivity.
Fun Facts About Dong Quai
- Dong Quai actually means "return to order." It is said that it is one of the best things to use to restore complete order to the systems of the body.