Bilberry Fruit Powder
Latin name: Vaccimium myrtillus
Bilberry has marvelous anti-aging properties and is loaded with high concentrations of bioflavonoids and antioxidants. Other health benefits include:
- Great for eye health. They can help to prevent damage to important parts of the eye such as the retina. Also helps improve night vision. Great to take to help prevent diseases of the eye such as macular degeneration, cataracts, and glaucoma. Bilberry also helps to strengthen capillaries in the eyes which also help protect the eye from damage.
- Reduces excess sugar in the blood, so it is beneficial to diabetics.
- Can help regulate hypoglycemia if used over a period of several months.
- Take regularly for heart and circulatory system health. Antioxidants and anthocyanosides work together to help reduce bad cholesterol levels. Helps to strengthen capillaries all over the body, so they are used to treat varicose veins and hemorrhoids, and are great for helping the blood circulate freely through the body.
- Stimulates the urinary system and strengthens bladder and kidney function.
- Used to treat urinary infections, so it is often combined with cranberry or Uva Ursi Leaf for this purpose.
- Due to high levels of tannins, it has strong anti-inflammatory properties that help to treat diarrhea (especially in children since it is such a mild herb), hemorrhoids, and colon or intestinal inflammation.
- Helps to control free radicals in the body. Free radicals are often cancer causing, so it is beneficial as a cancer preventative.
- Anti-inflammatory properties also make bilberry useful for treating rheumatism, arthritis, and gout.
Nutritional Benefits of Bilberry Fruit Powder
- Rich in antioxidants, which help to control free radicals in the body.
How to Use Bilberry Fruit Powder
- Can be used in tincture or encapsulated form.
- Adding the powder to smoothies is also a convenient way to take it, and tastes great.
- Bilberry jam or wine can also be made!
Cautions and Side Effects of Bilberry Fruit Powder
- Do not take with other anti-coagulant drugs.