Health Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth
Our Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is 89% Silicon Dioxide (Silica), often called fossil shell powder because it is literally just that. It is made from deposits of fossilized shells called diatoms. It is also often referred to as just "DE." DE is absolutely mineral filled, as well as a great silica supplement. The benefits of silica are many. In today's grains, there is actually a shortage of silica. Years ago, the silica found in our foodstuffs was adequate, but with today's hybrids and depleted soils, only about 1/3 of the silica needed is supplied in our food. Diatomaceous Earth is a simple and inexpensive way to get the silica your body needs and has many wonderful benefits such as:
- Best known for its silica content. Silica is great to help with mineral absorption in the body.
- Silica is also great for hair, nail, and bone strength. Hair and nails will grow stronger and faster, and gums and teeth will be stronger too.
- Is an excellent detoxifier. It grabs on to all the toxins, bacteria, and parasites in the body, making them easier to expel.
- Because it is, literally, tiny pieces of shells, it cleanses the inside of the intestinal tract, removing any excess mucus or mold.
- Known as a great colon cleanser, and can help ward off ailments of the colon such as polyps and even cancer because of its internal cleansing properties. This is another reason that it helps the body to absorb minerals. A healthy, clean set of intestines and colon help the body to better take in those nutrients and minerals.
- Diatomaceous Earth is a great substitute for expensive colonics.
- Helps lessen menopause symptoms.
- Helps sore joints and ligaments feel better.
- Speeds up healing of fractures as well as healing osteoperosis, since silica turns into calcium when the bones need it.
- DE taken in the morning helps curb their appetite throughout the day. Just one more reason to take it everyday!!
- Is great to help lower blood pressure and bad cholesterol levels.
- Because it is so high in minerals, it is great for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis. It is for this same reason that DE is great for hair, nails, and teeth.
- Wonderful to use for healthy skin. Collagen in our skin is mostly made up of silica, which helps our facial skin tissues to break down much slower. Acne, age spots, and psoriasis clears up.
- Can help to restore healthy lung tissue, by helping with lung expansion and elasticity. The silica results in a healthy respiratory tract.
- Helpful for urinary tract health, it is great to use as a diuretic because it can greatly increase urine flow. This makes it a great remedy for kidney ailments, and kidney health.
- Great treatment for arthritis and rheumatism because the silica content helps joints with elasticity.
- Because the silica is a tissue builder, DE can help to reduce coronary artery disease by helping the tissues stay firm in the heart, and keeps the vessels strong.
- Helps normalize hemorroidal tissues.
- Can greatly help to reduce dizziness and ringing of the ears because it is great for inflammation of the inner ear. It is also good for treating insomnia and headaches.
- Great to use as an additive to soil. It can help to greatly boost the growth of your garden, and is very good to keep away pests, parasites, molds, and other bacteria from your plants. It is safe for earthworms, and helps to keep away flies, snails, and slugs.
- Great as an additive to your chicken's feed as it can strengthen egg shells of laying hens.
- Wonderful to use in barns for odor absorption. It also helps to absorb dampness from the air, which helps to control mold growth.
- Helps to decrease mastitis in animals, and is great to use for healthy animal coats.
How Diatomaceous Earth Works:
Diatomaceous Earth looks like a cylinder full of holes - kind of like Rice Chex Cereal. This cylinder has a very strong negative charge. As these millions of cylinders move through the stomach and digestive tract, they attract and absorb fungi, protozoa, viruses, endotoxins, pesticides and drug residues, E-Coli, and heavy metals. These have a positive charge, so they are trapped inside the cylinder and passed out of the body. In addition, any larger parasites that happen to be in the stomach or digestive tract are "cut up" and killed by the sharp edges of the Diatomaceous Earth. All of these activities result in a much healthier body with less sickness. Often people find that they “just feel better" after using Diatomaceous Earth on a regular basis. This better feeling comes from all the "junk" being removed from the body and by giving the immune system the "jump start" it needs.
Diatomaceous Earth is very hard. On the hardness scale where diamonds are a 9, Diatomaceous Earth is a 7. This is very important, because as those millions of tiny hard and sharp Diatomaceous Earth cylinders pass through the small and large intestines, they "scrub" the walls. After only a few months of taking Diatomaceous Earth, the intestine wall is no longer coated with mucus and molds but CLEAN!! The advantages of this are regular bowel movements, a clean colon to keep away cancers, polyps, and ulcers, and increased energy.
Nutritional Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth
- Contains high amounts of silica, which most soils are being depleted of. Silica is the main ingredient of DE, and is the main factor in all of the uses of DE mentioned above.
How to Use Diatomaceous Earth
- For better health, most people take one or two heaping tablespoons of Diatomaceous Earth in a liquid every day. Many people benefit from just one teaspoon daily! You can mix it with grapefruit juice. Others mix the DE with water, soda pop, juice, or whatever liquid they like. Some even use DE in protein shakes, applesauce and yogurt. Our Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is pure. There is no actual flavor or taste to it. Since DE doesn't dissolve, stirring several times while drinking prevents settling. Some people experience higher energy levels, so it is probably best not to take just before sleeping. Not to worry about taking too much, because any excess silica not needed by the body is automatically eliminated through the blood stream, kidneys and intestines.
Cautions and Side Effects of Diatomaceous Earth
- Food grade DE is very safe for human consumption, and there are no known side effects from use. It is a mineral, so it will not interfere with medications.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. How can something that kills bugs be safe for me and my pets?
Diatomaceous Earth kills insects by PHYSICAL action, not chemical. Hundreds of the microscopic DE get all over the insects body. As the insects move, the DE scratches the waxy coating off of them and they dehydrate and die. Because the DE particle is so small, it has no harm to people and pets. It is a simple mineral - silica.
2. Is the same product used for killing bugs and helping people?
The same product is used for all applications: People, pets, livestock, and for insect control inside and outside. The food grade Diatomaceous Earth you buy from us is the purest type of DE on the planet. It is the ONLY product we sell, so you do not have to worry about getting the right product for the right application. It works for everything.
3. How much DE should a person take each day?
Most people take 1 heaping tablespoon per day in liquid of their choice. I use juice, but many just put in a glass of water. I know some who take 2 or 3 tablespoons a day, but that is usually for a severe problem they are trying to correct. I also know some who just take a teaspoon per day to start out with and work up to a tablespoon.
4. I have heard DE is dangerous--especially breathing it in.
Food GradeDE often gets confused with filter grade DE. Filter grade DE starts out as food grade, but it is heated to about 1000 degrees and chemicals are added to crystallize it. This works great for filtering but is dangerous to people and animals. Breathing the crystallized product in over long periods of time causes a disease called silicoses. The world health org. has said that DE needs to be less than 2% crystalline silica in order to be considered safe. The filter grade DE is 60% chrystalline!! Stay away from it - it is dangerous!! Our food grade DE on the other hand is less than .50% crystalline silica. As you can see, that is more than 4 times less than it needs to be to be considered safe! Daily use of Food GradeDE for people, pets and around the garden is perfectly safe. Food GradeDE should be treated like any other dusty product, if you are going to breathe it in over long periods of time, wear a dust mask. But it should in no way be compared to the dangerous crystallized filter grade.
5. If this stuff is so great, why have I never heard of it before?
You have to remember that it is always "all about the money." No one is going to spend millions of dollars and years of research on a product that you dig out of the ground and that cannot be patented. Diatomaceous earth is one of those hundreds of natural products that get shunned by most doctors and drug companies. Most DE is sold and used by someone who has a friend or relative that has used it and gotten results. You would think that is would be just the opposite, that a natural, safe, non-chemical and drug product that is inexpensive and has so many uses would be in every home in the country, but chemicals and drugs are where the big money is, so that is what gets promoted and used.