Latin name: Verbana officinalis
Health Benefits of Blue Vervain
The unique composition of the acids and phytochemicals in Blue Vervain make it a very potent and fast-acting herb. This herb is known as a natural tranquilizer and a relaxer for the nervous system. Blue Vervain is also one of the best herbs to help prevent the onset of a virus or fending off an upper respiratory infection. Other health benefits include:
- As a diuretic, it stimulates the release of urine, helping eliminate toxins, and protecting the liver and kidneys.
- Treats urinary tract/bladder infections.
- Soothes the nervous system, reducing stress, anxiety, and depression.
- Lowers pain and inflammation, such as headache and arthritis.
- Protects the immune system.
- Expectorant qualities help alleviate chest congestion by expelling phlegm.
- Clears up respiratory tract.
- Helps balance hormones.
- Helpful for insomnia.
- Anti-parasitic, so it helps the body expel worms.
- Eases menstruation discomfort.
- Stimulates milk production for nursing mothers.
- Used for oral health, such as gingivitis and sore gums.
Nutritional Benefits of Blue Vervain
- Contains Vitamins C and E.
- Also contains calcium and magnesium.
How to Use Blue Vervain
- Most often used as a prepared tea or infusion. Also can be made into a tincture for stronger medicine.
- Use as a poultice for pain such as a headache.
- Use as a mouthwash for oral health.
Cautions and Side Effects of Blue Vervain
- May cause upset stomach or mild rash on skin, in high doses.