Latin name: Taraxacum officinale
Health Benefits of Dandelion Root
Dandelion is used as a food and also for medicinal purposes. It is one of the great tonics of all time. It is particularly helpful for the liver and is exceptionally nutritious. Health benefits include:
- Contains bitter compounds that enhance the efficiency of the body’s eliminative and detoxifying functions. These compounds help restore normal liver and gallbladder function, increases the production of bile, and has a laxative effect.
- As a diuretic, it tones the kidneys and aids in proper water elimination while maintaining appropriate potassium levels.
- It is one of the best blood purifiers and builders available, which makes it great in treating anemia and low blood pressure.
- Enriches breast milk in nursing mothers, benefiting both mother and child.
- Helps to reduce harmful cholesterol levels in the body.
Nutritional Benefits of Dandelion
- Contains high amounts of Vitamins A, D, C, and B complex.
- Also has high amounts of calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, and iron.
How to Use Dandelion
- Can be used in teas and tinctures, as well as powdered and encapsulated.
- It is great to add to foods like soups or stews without compromising flavor, and is also a great salad green.
Cautions and Side Effects of Dandelion
- Do not use when taking lithium or other bi-polar medications.
- Can interfere with absorption of antibiotics. Because it is a powerful diuretic it can also cause antibiotics to be released from the body too soon, hence, voiding their effectiveness.
- Use caution if you have a problem with your endocrine system as it increases urination.
- Safe during pregnancy, while nursing, and for children.
Perfect Coffee Substitute
Posted by Klondike Trainmaster on 15th Feb 2017
This beats the flavor of coffee and every other tea I've ever enjoyed. I originally became interested in dandelion root tea when read about the Klondike pioneers drinking roasted dandelion root tea when they ran out of coffee, then I read about about how it's supposed to be good for my liver. My first order was for four ounces to give it a try. It tasted so good, my second order was for one pound! Best of all, the service from Savvy is OUTSTANDING! Thank you.