Latin name: Rhamnus purshiana
Health Benefits of Cascara Sagrada
Cascara sagrada is an herbal remedy that used to be a common ingredient in some over-the-counter (OTC) laxatives. Health benefits include:
- Primarily used to treat constipation. The anthraquinones contained in the bark slow down the absorption of water and electrolytes in the intestines. Because of this, stool volume increases as it absorbs the excess water, which increases pressure within the intestine. This stimulates muscle contractions in the colon, speeding the clearance of the bowel.
- Tends to be gentler, resulting in fewer loose or watery stools.
How to Use Cascara Sagrada
- The bitter bark can be made into an extract or drunk as cascara sagrada tea.
Cautions and Side Effect of Cascara Sagrada
- Can cause abdominal cramping, loss of electrolytes, or dependency.
- Drink plenty of water while using this herb.
- May counteract with prescription drugs and certain health conditions such as intestinal obstruction, abdominal pain, or any inflammatory condition of the intestines, so best to use under doctor's care.
- Not for use while pregnant or for children.