Latin name: Zea mays
Health Benefits of Corn Silk
Corn Silk is the glossy strands surrounding the kernels on ears of corn. Those strands we usually consider a nuisance are actually very beneficial to your health! They are mainly used to treat UTIs and also to help relieve joint pain. Corn Silk is also very high in Vitamin C. The many health benefits include:
- Diuretic - which helps heal UTIs, clearing the bladder and kidneys of toxins, and stimulating urination.
- Also helps reduce the occurence of kidney stones.
- Helps reduce blood pressure.
- Helps reduce blood sugar levels and stabilize insulin - so it's great for diabetics.
- High in antioxidants, so helps reverse cell damage and protect against disease.
- Anti-inflammatory properties make it effective for treating arthritis and gout.
- Aids in digestion.
- Has antiseptic and antibacterial properties - great for topical treatment of insect bites, wounds, stings, and rashes.
- Expectorant properties, useful for colds or flu.
- Facilitates blood clotting due to Vitamin K content.
- Contains compounds that may reduce cholesterol.
Nutritional Benefits of Corn Silk
- Very high in vitamin C.
- Also high in Vitamin K
- Contains calcium, niacin, potassium, zinc, riboflavin, and selenium.
How to Use Corn Silk
- For internal use, use as a poultice on the skin.
- Usually drank as a tea. Chop the silk and steep in hot water for 10 minutes.