Latin name: Chondracanthus chamissoi
Health Benefits of Irish Moss
Irish Moss has powerful antiviral properties, helping to prevent or treat a myriad of disorders such as flu, sore throats, chesty coughs and much more. It is also great for the thyroid and weight loss. Health benefits include:
- Helps balance thyroid hormones due to high iodine content.
- Dissolves phlegm and soothes inflammation of the mucus membranes to prevent congestion, helping to clear out the lungs of any phlegm that builds up with a common cold.
- May help to prevent a common cold from turning into pneumonia and can treat other respiratory problems such as bronchitis.
- Excellent immune boosting food that can be invaluable in the recovery from debilitating illness.
- Its high vitamin and mineral content make it the perfect food to replenish and revitalize the body after a long battle with disease.
- High fiber content exerts a mild laxative effect while soothing inflamed tissues within the intestinal tract, potentially providing relief from a whole host of intestinal disorders.
- High gelatin like content soothes the membranes of the digestive tract which helps to ease gastritis, dyspepsia, nausea, heartburn and indigestion.
- Reduces appetite for help with weight loss.
Nutritional Benefits of Irish Moss
- The human body is made up of 102 minerals and Irish Moss contains a whopping 92 of them. It also provides a wealth of other important nutrients including; protein, beta-carotene, B vitamins, pectin, vitamin C and sulphur.
- High in fiber.
How to Use Irish Moss
- Can be used in powdered and encapsulated form.
- Works great in tea and tincture combinations, or eat as a food.