Marshmallow Root Powder
Latin name: Althaea officinaliks
Health Benefits of Marshmallow Root
Marshmallow Root is a mucilaginous herb used to soothe the skin and a sore throat. Health benefits include:
- Soothes a sore throat when taken as a tea. Also good for bronchial inflammation.
- Helps with diarrhea and constipation.
- Great for use when trying to lose weight as it swells when taken which causes a “filling” effect.
- Is very helpful to the digestive tract because it contains mucilaginous compounds that decrease the thickness of mucosal fluids while increasing the production. This helps to soothe inflamed tissue, which makes for a more productive digestive system.
- Has anti-inflammatory properties that make it good for treating skin issues such as eczema and psoriasis, but also for treating flesh wounds such as cuts, scrapes, and burns.
- It is said to increase the flow of urine which can help kidney and bladder problems, and also decrease the risk of kidney stones.
- Increases the nourishment of milk in nursing mothers.
- Is most popular as an expectorant of the respiratory system.
- Has been used to treat allergies, gastritis, gastric ulcers, enteritis, coughs, cystitis, and hay fever.
- Use in a bath as a soothing wash. Combine with oats for maximum effect.
Nutritional Benefits of Marshmallow Root
- Excellent herbal source of trace minerals, especially chromium, iron, magnesium, and selenium.
- High in calcium.
How to Use Marshmallow Root
- Can be used in teas and tinctures.
- Works well in combinations with other herbs.
Cautions and Side Effects of Marshmallow Root
- Safe during pregnancy, while nursing, and also safe for children.
- No known drug interactions.