Oregon Grape Root
Latin name: Mahonia aquifolium
Health Benefits of Oregon Grape Root
Oregon Grape Root contains the immune-stimulating, infection-fighting, antiseptic constituent berberine. Herbs that contain berberine are scientifically proven to protect against bacteria, viruses, and fungi. Health benefits include:
- Treats bacterial diarrhea as well as constipation.
- Used to treat intestinal parasites.
- Helpful for eye infections.
- Can be used in skin washes to deter the over production of skin cells that occurs in plaque psoriasis. Contains tannins that ease inflammation, irritation, and itching of the skin.
- Inhibits the ability of bacteria, such as E. coli, to attach to human cells and thus prevent the spread of infection.
- Used externally to treat eczema and acne.
- Can kill or suppress the growth of candida and other fungal infections, staphylococcus, streptococcus, and other harmful microbes.
- Boosts the immune system.
- Stimulates liver function, improves the flow of bile, and cleanses the blood.
How to Use Oregon Grape Root
- Use in capsules, teas, tinctures, or in an ointment.
Cautions and Side Effects of Oregon Grape Root
- Do not use if pregnant or nursing.
- Do not use when chronic gastrointestinal or inflammation is present, such as irritable bowel syndrome.