Latin name: Zingiber officinale
Health Benefits of Ginger Root
Ginger Root is prized both for its delicious flavor and medicinal properties. It is one of the classic herbs used in traditional Chinese medicine. Used for the reproductive, respiratory, and digestive systems, health benefits include:
- A great preventative for nausea because it relaxes the stomach. It helps prevent motion sickness, nausea from pregnancy, and also nausea caused from viruses and other illnesses.
- It’s a great treatment for colds and flu because it promotes sweating which is great for detoxifying the body. It also helps the kidneys and bowels by helping to remove these excess toxins.
- It’s great for heart health and the circulatory system for several reasons. It helps to lower blood pressure, lowers cholesterol, deters blood clots, and helps to stimulate the heart.
- Contains very strong anti-inflammatory properties that make it a wonderful treatment for rheumatism, arthritis, and general pain and soreness.
- Helps to boost the metabolism, which helps in treating effects of stress and fatigue.
- Improves digestion and helps the body efficiently move out waste.
- Studies show that it can be a great preventative and treatment for people with colorectal cancer.
- Great in cough syrups, and helps relieve congestion in the sinus cavities.
- Helps with suppressed menstruation, and is excellent for menstrual cramps.
- May have the ability to reduce glucose levels, and may have use as a hypoglycemic agent.
Nutritional Benefits of Ginger Root
- Is an excellent herbal source of trace minerals especially potassium, silicon, magnesium, and manganese.
How to Use Ginger Root
- Can be used in tinctures, but is also delicious in tea combinations.
- It can be used in encapsulated form.
- Is good when added to foods as a spice for flavor enhancing.
- Can be used externally as a poultice for cramps.