Latin name: Marrubium vulgare
Health Benefits of Horehound
Horehound is most widely known for its expectorant properties which make it a good remedy for coughs, colds, and congestion. These expectorant properties also help to create a more effective cough because it loosens phlegm and helps to sooth tissues that can allow the phlegm to be ejected with ease. Health benefits include:
- Is thought to be a good treatment for diabetes as it appears to lower blood sugar.
- It is often used as a pain remedy. It can greatly reduce pain from toothaches, muscle cramps, sprains, and headaches.
- Great for gallbladder health as it helps to stimulate the production of bile.
- It is a wonderful antispasmodic and can be used to treat nausea, vomiting, carsickness, and other stomach ailments.
- It is great to take after a meal to help with digestion. It helps to decrease flatulence and bloating.
How to Use Horehound
- Can be chewed or used in teas and tinctures.
Cautions and Side Effects of Horehound
- Do not use during pregnancy or while breastfeeding.
- Children should not eat the seeds as it can cause poisoning.
- Do not use for long periods of time as it can cause high blood pressure. Use when needed and not on a regular basis.
Fun Facts About Horehound
- Horehound is served at Passover feasts as one of the five sacred traditional herbs.