Latin name: Avena sativa
Health Benefits of Oatstraw
Oatstraw is the straw remaining after the grain has been harvested. This is one of the best herbs for nerve issues and is a superior cardiac tonic. Oats provide energy by increasing overall health and vitality. Health benefits include:
- Is often used to treat nervous system disorders, depression, irritability, and anxiety.
- It is also good for hysteria and also ADHD.
- Oatstraw has been known to improve libido.
- Has been said to balance the menstrual cycle of females, and is touted as a prevention for osteoporosis.
- Fiber in the plant helps to reduce bowel transit time, absorb toxins, and enhance the efficiency of digestion.
- Has been known to help lower cholesterol.
- Helps soothe irritation from nicotine and other chemical withdrawals.
- Helps treat urinary incontinence.
Nutritional Benefits of Oatstraw
- Contains high amounts of crude fiber that encourage normal bowel movement.
- Is an excellent source of the major minerals used in the structure of the body including magnesium and calcium. Oats are one of the highest terrestrial sources of magnesium.
- Rich in silica, calcium, and chromium.
How to Use Oatstraw
- Use in tea and tincture combinations. Oats makes a delicious tasting tea.
- Use in a bath for nervous stress or for irritated, itchy skin.
Cautions and Side Effects of Oatstraw
- Safe during pregnancy, while nursing, and safe for children.
- No known drug interactions.