Psyllium Seed Husk Powder
Latin name: Plantago ovata
Health Benefits of Psyllium Seed Husk Powder
Psyllium is the husk of the seed of the plantain. It is used most often in bulk laxatives. Psyllium is used to cleanse the colon and detox the body. It can also be beneficial for weight loss. Health benefits include:
- Has been called a "colon broom” because it scrubs the colon. It creates bulk and pulls from the sides of the intestines and colon. It acts as an intestinal lubricant in this way.
- Contains a spongy fiber that reduces appetite, and helps provide a feeling of fullness. It also improves lipid and sugar levels in the blood that help to effectively reduce body weight. These qualities make it great to take when pursuing weight loss.
- Has advantages over other sources of fiber in reducing flatulence and bloating. The fiber also is helpful in cleansing the system of harmful toxins.
- Soaks up a significant amount of water in the digestive tract, thereby making stool firmer, and under these circumstances, slower to pass. It is also good to help relieve constipation in a non-strenuous way.
- Can help to dramatically decrease LDL cholesterol levels.
Nutritional Benefits of Psyllium Seed Husk Powder
- Every 100 grams of psyllium provides 71 grams of soluble fiber. A similar amount of oat bran would only contain 5 g of soluble fiber.
How to Use Psyllium Seed Husk Powder
- Use in capsules or mixed in juice. Just be sure and drink plenty of water with this herb or else it can cause constipation.
Cautions and Side Effects of Psyllium Seed Husk Powder
- Drink copious amounts of water when using psyllium powder. You can dehydrate very easily if enough water is not consumed.
- Safe during pregnancy, while nursing, and safe for children.