Shavegrass / Horsetail
Latin name: Equisetum arvense
Health Benefits of Shavegrass / Horsetail
Shavegrass is an ancient plant also known as horsetail. Shavegrass is the herb to strengthen hair, nails, and bones. Health benefits include:
- Great for strengthening nails and hair, especially split ends, because of its high silicon content.
- Silicon is an essential element in the manufacturing of collagen, the matrix material that holds the body together. It gives elasticity and suppleness to the skin, and contributes to flexibility. It strengthens the bones, hair, and nails. It can be thought of as an “internal cosmetic,” building the body from the inside out.
- Considered to be a diuretic and an astringent. It has primary effects in correcting bladder problems since it tones the organs of the urinary tract and soothes the bladder. It is used both as a diuretic and to help control incontinence, including bedwetting. It is useful with kidney stones, prostate issues, and kills the eggs of parasites as well.
- Great for fever as it induces perspiration.
- It is used as an eye treatment, especially for conjunctivitis and inflammation of the lachrymal ducts.
- Has been applied externally to treat both hemorrhoids and anal fissures.
- Has been used to treat menstrual clots, and is used to help dissolve tumors.
- Some studies show that it can be great for the memory.
- Can help to heal wounds such as burns and bruises, and also helps to stop the bleeding of ulcers.
Nutritional Benefits of Shavegrass / Horsetail
- Has an exceptionally high silica content.
- Is a great source of calcium, and also helps the body retain and use the calcium as well.
- Excellent herbal source of magnesium, chromium, iron, and manganese.
How to Use Shavegrass / Horsetail
- Great for use in tea and tincture combinations.
Cautions and Side Effects Shavegrass / Horsetail
- Do not overuse or use long term as it can cause thiamine deficiency.
- Do not use while pregnant or nursing.
- Because it has such a strong diuretic effect, it causes a loss of potassium. If you are taking other potassium depleting drugs you should not take as excess loss of potassium can lead to heart failure.
- Should not be used by those who tend to consume large amounts of alcohol.
- Drink plenty of water while using this herb.
Fun Facts About Shavegrass / Horsetail
- Gets its name because it is a non-flowering plant that looks just like a horse’s tail.