Latin name: Scutellaria lateriflora
Health Benefits of Scullcap
Scullcap is an effective calming herb to help treat anxiety and and even more serious nervous system disorders. Health benefits include:
- It's a great nervine, and can be used to treat many different nervous disorders such as headache, stress, menstrual tension, insomnia, anxiety, and nervous exhaustion.
- It has been used to treat madness resulting from rabies and also schizophrenia. It is also being used some as a good alternative treatment for ADHD/ADD.
- Because of its calming qualities, it is great to use as a sedative. It induces sleep without harmful drugs that can cause side effects.
- Is a good treatment for people who are trying to recover from drug use. It helps to ease symptoms of withdrawal.
- Due to its antispasmodic properties, it is a good treatment for throat infections. This quality also makes it a good treatment for asthma.
- Can be used as a treatment for Tourette's Syndrome because of its calming effects on the body.
- Is good to take for heart health as it helps to increase good cholesterol levels which counteract bad cholesterol levels and help to reduce plaque buildup in arteries.
How to Use Scullcap
- Can be used in teas, tinctures, or encapsulated form.
- Use over an extended period of time to receive the full benefit of this herb.
Cautions and Side Effects of Scullcap
- Do not use while pregnant or nursing. This herb may cause miscarriage.