Latin name: Capsella bursa-pastoris
Health Benefits of Shepherd's Purse
Shepherd's purse is used for heart and circulatory problems as well as bleeding issues. Health benefits include:
- Useful in heart and circulatory problems like low blood pressure and heart failure.
- Effective in urinary bladder infections.
- Stimulates bowel movements to relieve constipation.
- Useful in the treatment of jaundice.
- Useful in skin disorders such as eczema.
- Effective in uterus issues like fibroids and uterine cancer.
- Helps topically with nosebleeds and bleeding skin injuries.
- Helps with postpartum bleeding and heavy menstrual bleeding.
- Effective in rheumatism.
- Helps treat fungal infections.
- As a diuretic it helps with kidney issues.
- Helps with headaches.
- Useful for burns when used topically.
How to Use Shepherd's Purse
- Can be used as a tea or tincture.
- Often used in an ointment to be used topically.
Cautions and Side Effects of Shepherd's Purse
- May have a sedative effect.
- Do not use if taking blood thinners or thyroid medications, as this herb may interfere.