Health Benefits of Bentonite Clay Powder
Bentonite Clay, also known as montmorillonite, is found in deposits of volcanic ash where it is able to absorb many minerals and nutrients from the earth. This absorbing quality is what makes bentonite clay such a wonderful detoxifier. It is effective and powerful in treating internal and external maladies. Health benefits include:
- When mixed with water bentonite swells like a sponge and becomes inert. This swelling allows the clay to draw toxins through an electrical attraction. Once there, the toxins are bound, and are then flushed from the body. Because the clay is inert, it travels through the body in an unchanging state.
- The internal use of the clay is an excellent and simple way to do an effective cleanse.
- When used as a clay mask or pack, it can help rashes, itching, wounds, and is great to tighten skin and unclog pores.
- Has been useful in instances of poisoning, as well as snake and spider bites.
How to Use Bentonite Clay Powder
- For internal use, start with a teaspoon mixed thoroughly in 8 oz. of water. After a few days or so, you may want to increase the amount of clay to a tablespoon. It is best taken on an empty stomach and not in combination with other herbs, vitamins, or medication.
- The clay can be stirred into water, juice, or any other beverage of your choice.
- It can also be sprinkled on foods or encapsulated.
- For external use, mix clay with some water to make a paste and spread it over the affected area. Let it air dry. Keep it on until the clay wears off or gets itchy, then wash off the residue.
Cautions and Side Effects of Bentonite Clay Powder
- Do not use metal utensils or containers to stir or store the clay. Contact with metal may decrease the clay’s potency.
- Consume LOTS of water while using clay internally as it can cause severe constipation.
- Safe during pregnancy and nursing, and safe for children.