Latin name: Inula helenium
Health Benefits of Elecampane
Elecampane is an expectorant and stimulating tonic used for all ailments dealing with cough and the respiratory system. Health benefits include:
- Known for its expectorant properties, it is a great remedy for coughs, colds, and congestion. It works exceptionally well as an expectorant for children.
- Can help with many respiratory ailments such as pneumonia, emphysema, asthma, and bronchitis.
- Is known as a traditional treatment for different types of worms such as hookworm, roundworm, and threadworm.
- Used as a flavoring in many liqueurs, cough drops, and vermouths.
- Contains bitter agents that help to stimulate appetite and digest food easily.
- Often used as a treatment for tuberculosis.
- Is great when used on the skin to treat conditions such as psoriasis.
How to Use Elecampane
- Can be used in a tea or in tincture form.
- Can be used externally as a skin wash.
Cautions and Side Effects of Elecampane
- Avoid use if pregnant or nursing.
- Can cause some mild allergic skin reactions.