Latin name: Turnera diffusa
Health Benefits of Damiana Leaf
Although its noted effect on sexual desire has been its primary traditional use across cultures, it has also been valued as a relaxant, digestive stimulant, mood enhancer, or just an enjoyable beverage that was often given to children. In modern times it has also been used as an herbal smoke and a liqueur. Heath benefits include:
- Used as an aphrodisiac. Stimulates libido.
- Appetite suppressant, used for weight loss.
- Helps support a healthy mood, relieving mild depression.
- Helps support healthy urinary tract function.
- Acts as a tonic on the central nervous system and hormonal system.
- Digestive stimulant.
- Helps with anxiety and stress.
- Used to treat bedwetting.
- Lowers hot flashes during menopause.
- Treats hypertension.
- Used as a laxative for children.
- Treats headache.
How to Use Damiana Leaf
- Usually used in tea blends, tinctures, or smoke blends.
Cautions and Side Effects of Damiana Leaf
- Damiana may lower blood sugar and should be taken with caution in people with diabetes who take insulin or other blood-sugar–lowering drugs. Damiana should not be taken in the two weeks prior to surgery.