Latin name: Mentha piperita
Health Benefits of Peppermint Leaf
Peppermint Leaf is such a wonderful and versatile herb. It not only tastes delicious but is also a great digestive aid for babies, children, and adults. Health benefits include:
- Is a wonderful breath freshener due to its fresh aroma.
- Most commonly known for its ability to aid the digestive system. It helps increase production of digestive fluids which is great for bowel health. It helps to settle an upset stomach, ease nausea, treat indigestion, and helps to curb flatulence. It is also great for loss of appetite.
- Great for colicky babies as it is helps to calm and relax.
- Is useful as an expectorant. Its strong aromatic properties can be helpful in alleviating mucus when suffering from colds and allergies.
- Helpful herb “catalyst” or activator. Drinking a cup of peppermint tea before taking other herbs opens the circulation and potentiates their action. It also helps to make the disagreeable taste of many herbal formulas tolerable.
- Contains astringent compounds which shrink inflamed tissues.
- Used for headache relief.
Nutritional Benefits of Peppermint Leaf
- Contains Vitamin C and A.
- Contains trace amounts of niacin, copper, iodine, potassium, magnesium, and silicon.
How to Use Peppermint Leaf
- Add to teas and tinctures to help cover the flavor of bitter or less desirable tasting herbs. This makes it easier to add to the diet.
- Peppermint tea is delicious hot or cold. You can add it to tincture combinations.