Devil's Claw Root
Latin name: Harpagophytum procumbens
Health Benefits of Devil's Claw
Devil's Claw is one of the bitterest of all herbs, making it a very effective digestive stimulant. It is also a strong pain-reliever. Other health benefits include:
- Helps cleanse the blood, thereby supporting the liver, spleen, kidneys, and bowels.
- Helps dissolve and remove tumors and abnormal growths.
- Dissolves and discharges urinary and gall bladder stones and gravel.
- Used to treat arthritis due to its anti-inflammatory properties. Also treats rheumatoid and osteoarthritis, as well as lower back pain.
- Helpful with joint pain, muscle pain, and tendonitis.
How to Use Devil's Claw
- Use externally in ointments or poultices, or taken internally as teas, tinctures, or in capsules.
Cautions and Side Effects of Devil's Claw
- Avoid use during pregnancy and breastfeeding.
- Do not take along with blood-thinners.
Fun Facts About Devil's Claw
- Its distinctive name comes from its peculiar appearance, referring to the inner capsule of the fruit which splits open at one end. This takes on the appearance of two curved horns or claws.