Latin name: Unicaria tomentosa
Health Benefits of Cat’s Claw
Cat’s Claw is used to strengthen the immune system as well as a variety of other health conditions. Health benefits include:
- A great immune system stimulator. It has properties that help white blood cells take over and rid the body of many carcinogens that can effect the immune system. This form of detoxifying the body is also why it is used for treatment of tumors and cancer.
- Has great anti-inflammatory properties that help with many digestive disorders caused by inflammation such as colitis, Crohn’s disease, gastritis, and stomach ulcers. These anti-inflammation properties also make it a great treatment for rheumatoid arthritis.
- Often used as a treatment for HIV/AIDS and other viral infections.
- Used to treat Alzheimer's disease.
- Great for heart health, and for the treatment for hypertension, reducing heart rate, and increasing circulation.
- Promotes kidney health.
How to Use Cat’s Claw
- Often used in teas and tinctures, but can also be used in powder form and encapsulated.
Cautions and Side Effects of Cat’s Claw
- Avoid use before and during pregnancy
- Because of blood pressure lowering properties, do not take if you are taking other medicine for hypertension.
Fun Facts About Cat’s Claw
- Cat’s claw got it’s name because of the curved thorns on the vine that resemble the claws of a cat.