Latin name: Foeniculum vulgare
Health Benefits of Fennel Seed
Fennel Seed is most commonly known as a sweet, licorice flavored cooking spice, but fennel is also beneficial for digestion, weight loss, and for colds and flu. Health benefits include:
- Because of its ability to help with digestive problems, it is also good for bad breath that is caused by stomach issues. For this same reason it is great to treat colic in babies, stomach cramps, and intestinal spasms.
- Fennel is used as an antacid, as it neutralizes excess acids in the stomach and intestines and clears uric acid from the joints, which helps treat gout.
- Has been said to be an appetite suppressant which can help in weight loss.
- Stimulates digestion and relieves flatulence.
- Increases the flow of urine making it an excellent liver and kidney cleanser.
- Anti-spasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties of the seed can help with menstrual pain as it eases uterine cramping and bloating. It has also been known to treat menopause symptoms.
- Helps to make the unpleasant taste of many herbs more tolerable, particularly to children. Its aromatic quality also gives it some activity as a catalyst for other herbs.
- Often used as an insect repellant as it is said to be disliked by fleas and the powdered herb has been effective in driving away fleas from kennels and stables.
- Can be effective in the use of treating coughs and colds.
- Helps in milk production.
- The tea makes a good eyewash for conjunctivitis and other eye inflammations.
Nutritional Benefits of Fennel Seed
- Contains high amounts of Vitamin C.
- A great source of dietary fiber and potassium.
How to Use Fennel Seed
- Use in tea and tincture combinations.
- Use in food to enhance flavor and nutrients.
- Chew on seeds to aid in digestion, and to help bad breath. They taste great!
Cautions and Side Effects of Fennel Seed
- Safe during pregnancy and while nursing and safe for children.
- No known drug interactions.
Fun Facts About Fennel Seed
- Tastes like licorice, and is used a lot in baking for this reason.