Fenugreek Seed Powder
Latin name: Trigonella foenum-graecum
Health Benefits of Fenugreek Seed Powder
Fenugreek is most commonly used as an expectorant as it expels mucus and phlegm from the bronchial tubes, and helps to expel toxic waste through the lymphatic system. It is also exceptionally nourishing so it is used to treat debilitating and wasting disorders. Health benefits include:
- Relieves cough, hay fever, and allergies.
- Is often used to promote hair growth.
- Helps regulate blood sugar.
- Can be used to increase libido in both men and women.
- Because of its mucilaginous properties, it helps to soothe sore throats.
- It helps the digestive system by acting as a lubricant for the intestines. It coats ulcers and intestinal sores. It also contains bitter compounds that help increase the production of digestive fluids and enzymes, and has a mild laxative effect.
- Can be used externally for inflammation and wounds.
- Is widely known for its ability to increase lactation in nursing mothers. These same hormone precursors are said to increase breast tissue growth as well. It also enriches the milk.
- Can be helpful in the loss of memory due to aging.
- Has been used to induce labor.
Nutritional Benefits of Fenugreek Seed Powder
- Great source of selenium and iron.
How to Use Fenugreek Seed Powder
- Used as a poultice externally.
- Internally, use in tea or tincture combinations or in encapsulated form.
- Mix with more flavorful herbs in tea combinations.
- When used to increase milk production it can be paired with Fennel Seed to cover the flavor of the tea.
Cautions and Side Effects of Fenugreek Seed Powder
- Do not take if you are taking other drugs as it interferes with all drug absorption.
- May change color and smell of urine, but this is not harmful.