Latin name: Ginko Biloba
Health Benefits of Ginkgo Biloba Leaf
Ginkgo Biloba is the brain food herb. It has also been especially popular as a longevity herb in Japan. It is one of the best herbs for enhancing vitality, memory, and circulation. Health benefits include:
- Is great for memory loss, and is being used to treat Alzheimer’s disease, strokes, and other forms of dementia, as well as short as well as long term memory.
- Has demonstrated a remarkable ability to improve peripheral circulation and reducing inflammation in the blood vessels. This translates into decreased blood clotting and better concentration.
- Is an antioxidant, which is useful against free radicals in the body.
- Often used as the main ingredient in energy drinks as it is said to give a great energy boost.
- Ginkgo leaves contain ginkgolides, which inhibit platelet-activating factor, a chemical involved in asthma and allergies . This herb also contains a dozen different anti-inflammatory chemicals and seven natural antihistamines.
- One of the best herbs for promoting blood flow and oxygenation throughout the body.
- Strengthens the arterial walls.
- Excellent herb for treating vertigo, and tinnitus, or ringing in the ears.
Nutritional Benefits of Ginkgo Biloba Leaf
- Excellent source of iron, calcium, and Vitamin C.
How to Use Ginkgo Biloba Leaf
- Can be used in tea and tincture combinations, and can also be used in encapsulated form.
- Because its active principles seem to wear off after six to eight hours, small doses are recommended three times a day for maximum effect.
Cautions and Side Effects of Ginkgo Biloba Leaf
- Do not use if you are taking other anti-coagulant drugs as it may increase bleeding.
- Safe during pregnancy and while nursing, and safe for children.