Latin name: Melissa officinalis
Health Benefits of Lemon Balm
Lemon Balm is a plant of the mint family that is a very effective nervine herb used to relax and calm the stomach and nervous system. Health benefits include:
- Has a great astringent quality when applied externally. When used as a face wash, it will draw all the excess oils from the skin.
- Commonly used as a calming herb. Great for anxiety, insomnia, and even depression. It can also help with hyperactivity in children, and also with colicky babies.
- Has been useful in fevers, Grave’s disease, high blood pressure, shingles, and viral infections.
How to Use Lemon Balm
- Has a delicious, mild taste, and is great in tea combinations.
- Can be added to any food dish for nutritional value or flavor.
Cautions and Side Effects of Lemon Balm
- Should not be taken by people who are taking thyroid or glaucoma medication as the herb interferes with those drugs.