Latin name: Verbascum thapsus
Health Benefits of Mullein Leaf
Mullein’s gentle nature makes it one of the very best herbs for use with children’s health problems. It is considered the herb of choice for respiratory problems and pulmonary diseases. Health benefits include:
- It has a history of use that focuses on respiratory ailments. It has traditionally been used to treat coughs, colds, croup, bronchitis, allergies, whooping cough, and asthma.
- It contains mucilaginous compounds that decrease the thickness of mucosal fluids, and also increase the production. This helps to loosen mucus, and expel it out of the body. It is a wonderful expectorant.
- Calms spasms and helps reduce swelling of the glandular system.
- Has great anti-inflammatory properties that make it a good treatment for skin conditions such as ulcers, hemorrhoids, eczema, acne, and others. It helps to soothe inflamed tissues.
- Contains aromatic compounds that increase the flow of urine.
- Flowers and seeds contain an essential oil that is used to treat earaches.
- Great as a general pain reliever.
- Great to use as a mild sedative.
Nutritional Benefits of Mullein Leaf
- High in iron, magnesium, potassium, and sulphur.
How to Use Mullein Leaf
- When making teas, be sure and strain with a tea towel, cotton shirt, or muslin bag. You want to remove the potentially irritating, hair-like particles.
- Great in tincture combinations or in encapsulated form.
Cautions and Side Effects of Mullein Leaf
- Safe during pregnancy, while nursing, and safe for children.