Latin name: Citrus sinensis
Health Benefits of Orange Peel
Oranges have an excellent nutrient content. However, when most people eat an orange, they don’t use the peel, which is loaded with nutrients. Orange peel is very useful to have on hand to add to herbal medicinal combinations that may not be very tasty. It will help mask bitter flavors. And it will add nutrition to your blend! Health benefits include:
- It’s a great digestive aid. Can be used for abdominal bloating and also nausea and poor appetite. It helps to increase the production of digestive fluid.
- Using it to flavor tea, salads, salad dressings, yogurt, or soups every day can be a great way of achieving some cholesterol-lowering benefits as well.
- Contains carbohydrates that have health-promoting effects. One of these, pectin, has probiotic properties.
- Contains aromatic compounds that are antiseptic.
- Contains bitter compounds that are anti-inflammatory which can help in blood circulation.
- Can be used to treat coughs, colds, flu, fevers, and bronchitis.
- Due to high content of Vitamin C, it’s a great cold and flu preventative.
Nutritional Benefits of Orange Peel
- Is an excellent source of Vitamin C and folate.
How to Use Orange Peel
- Soak in warm water to hydrate, then use in teas, tinctures, or in foods. You can add it to any dish to add a little zest of flavor and a boost of nutrients.