Latin name: Passiflora incarnata
Health Benefits of Passion Flower
Passion Flower is a very calming herb which helps aid sleep, relieve nervous system disorders, and halts muscle spasms. Health benefits include:
- Is a great, mild sedative that can be used to help with nervousness and insomnia. It is very relaxing and calming to the body.
- Is good for treatment of high blood pressure and racing pulse.
- Can be a great treatment for shingles as it is said to relieve pain in nerve endings. This could also be because of its nerve calming effect as mentioned above. This pain relieving aspect is used to treat toothache, headache, and menstrual pain.
- Is said to have an effect in increasing libido.
- Has an anti-fungal property that shows intermediate killing power on the Candida yeast species.
- Great for colic in babies.
- Because it has anti-spasmodic properties, it is great for treating ailments such as asthma, seizures, and even Parkinson’s disease.
- Treats epilepsy, anxiety, and panic attacks.
- Helps hyperactivity in children and adults.
Nutritional Benefits of Passion Flower
- Contains good amounts of Vitamin A
- Very high in chromium, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, and protein.
How to Use Passion Flower
- Often used in tea or tincture combinations.
- Often combined with St. John's Wort for stress or anxiety or Valerian Root for sleep.
Cautions and Side Effects of Passion Flower
- Safe during pregnancy, while nursing, and is safe for children.
Fun Facts About Passion Flower
- This plant gets its name because it is said to be a reminder of the Passion of the Christ.