Latin name: Sambucus nigra
Health Benefits of Elder Flowers
Elder Flowers have similar properties of Elderberries and can be used in similar ways. Other health benefits include:
- They are a time tested, safe remedy for allergies, hay fever, colds, flu, fever, pneumonia, and sore throat.
- An all around blood purifier, and is a great general systemic cleanser.
- The flowers and the berries from the elder plant contain substances which ease inflammation and pain.
- They have been used in past times to treat bronchial and pulmonary affections. They were also used with scarlet fever, measles, and other eruptive diseases.
- Because they are emetic and somewhat nauseating to some people, ideal synergist to blend with them is peppermint. Peppermint mixed with elder flower is world-famed as the greatest fever remedy ever known to man.
- Great when treating external ailments such as sprains, skin blemishes, tumors, bruises, and frostbite.
How to Use Elder Flowers
- Most popular in tincture and tea combinations, but can also be powdered and encapsulated.
Cautions and Side Effects of Elder Flowers
- There are no known drug interactions with Elder Flowers.
- Safe for use during pregnancy, while nursing, and safe for children.
Fun Facts About Elder Flowers
- Ancient Egyptians used Elder Flowers to improve their complexions.