Latin name: Mentha spicata
Health Benefits of Spearmint Leaf
Spearmint Leaf has been widely used in the production of chewing gum and toothpaste. Spearmint is delicious and is often used to flavor herbal blends that are not so palatable. Spearmint aids in digestion and stimulates the brain. Health benefits include:
- Often used as an anti-spasmodic. It can help with stomach cramps, preventing nausea, and menstrual cramps. It is also great for colicky babies.
- Has great astringent qualities that make it a good treatment for skin wounds, burns, and irritations.
- Helps to remove gas from the digestive system.
- Good for fever as it is a cooling herb. It can also induce sweating, and increases blood circulation.
- Said to be good for stimulation of memory and brain function.
- Has been an effective treatment for migraine headaches.
How to Use Spearmint Leaf
- Can be used as a garnish, in salads, or in numerous other recipes.
- Can be used in tea or tincture combinations.
- Can be used to freshen breath when chewed raw.
Fun Facts About Spearmint Leaf
- Was scattered on floors in homes during the middle ages to deter rodents.
- Was used during the civil war to help purify water while in the battlefield.