Latin name: Euphrasia officinalis
Health Benefits of Eyebright Powder
Eyebright Powder is a wonderful plant that can be used to treat problems with the eye, as its name suggests. Making a tea and straining through a tea towel makes an effective wash for itchy eyes due to seasonal allergies. Health benefits include:
- Because it has natural astringent properties, it is known to tighten pores, and also to treat acne.
- Has anti-catarrhal and anti-inflammatory properties that allow it to constrict the body’s tissues, decrease blood and secretion flows, and reduce swelling in the affected areas.
- Helps to slow deterioration of eyesight due to aging.
- Is great for treating cataracts, weeping eye, and conjunctivitis (pinkeye) just as the name suggests.
- Used in case of eye strain and other health problems like cold, sinus infections, sore throats, coughs, etc. It is also used for treating allergies, bronchitis, and some other upper respiratory problems.
Nutritional Benefits of Eyebright Powder
- Contains vitamins B, C, and E.
- Contains beta carotene.
How to use Eyebright Powder
- Generally used in the form of a poultice or an eyewash so as to reduce the swelling and other problems associated with the above said conditions.
- Can be used internally as eyebright herb tea or in encapsulated form as to aid in healing.
Cautions and Side Effects of Eyebright Powder
- Should not be used by pregnant and/or nursing women.
- Should not be used while wearing contact lenses.
- Should not be used if you have undergone eye surgery.