Fo-ti Root Powder (He shou wu)
Latin name: Polygonum multiflorum
Health Benefits of Fo-ti
Fo-ti, also called He Shou Wu, is known as a rejuvenation herb. Though a great tonic and energizer, it is relaxing to use during times of stress and anxiety. Health benefits include:
- It contains an alkaloid that is said to have a rejuvenating effect on the nerves, brain cells, and endocrine system. It is also said to help slow the aging process and promote longevity.
- Great for kidney and liver health because it stimulates the adrenal glands and helps to detoxify the body.
- Used to help promote fertility, and is used to treat male impotency, increasing sperm count.
- Is said to reverse the growth of gray hairs, and return hair to its natural color.
- Is great to take for lowering bad cholesterol levels in the body. It also is great for heart health in that it helps to decrease blood pressure, and also helps to stop the buildup of plaque in the arteries.
- Studies have shown that it contains resveratrol and lecithin.
- Cleanses the liver.
- Can help protect the brain from the damaging effects of diseases such as Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.
How to Use Fo-ti
- Can be used in teas, tinctures, or in encapsulated form.
- Best when consumed on a regular basis.
- Mix with Ginseng Root Powder and Cinnamon Powder and add honey, to make a spread for toast or crackers!
Cautions and Side Effects of Fo-ti
- Must take in moderate doses. Do not use over 15 grams of pure root at a time as it may cause stomach pain.