Latin name: Crataegus monogyna L.
Health Benefits of Hawthorn Berries
Hawthorn is the supreme herb for the heart. If you have heart issues or just want to keep your heart healthy, you will want to use this herb on a regular basis. Health benefits include:
- Strengthens and regulates the heart. It can be used for any and all kinds of heart disorders such as angina pectoris, hypertrophy, and fibrillation of the heart.
- It is very gentle and nurtures the entire circulatory system. It has been proven to be effective as a treatment for functional heart disease arrhythmia, circulatory insufficiency, and arteriosclerosis.
- Improves coronary circulation by dilating the coronary arteries to bring more oxygen directly to the heart muscle and reducing the chances of heart attack or angina. It also helps to keep the heart healthy enough to actually head off a heart attack.
- Perfect preventative prescription for persons who have a family history of heart disease. It is also a safe and effective long-term treatment for the gradual loss of heart function that comes with age because it is not habit forming, accumulative, or toxic.
- Dilates arteries and veins, allowing blood to flow more freely and helping with blockages.
- Helps maintain healthy cholesterol levels.
- For patients who have already suffered a heart attack, studies show that it speeds recovery, lowers blood pressure, and strengthens the heart to forestall any onset of coronary disease.
- It is great for those under with stress problems as it produces natural adrenalin.
- An effective antioxidant.
- Garlic, Cayenne Pepper, and Hawthorn are a powerhouse combination for the heart.
- Also good for some nervous disorders such as insomnia.
- Helps with anxiety and depression.
How to Use Hawthorn Berries
- Best used in tincture combinations, however, the whole berries can be simmered for a long while and used in teas.
- Very tasty, so jams and jellies have been made out of the berries as well.
- Should be used over a period of time to be effective.
Cautions and Side Effects of Hawthorn Berries
- Do not take if you are taking other drugs for heart conditions such as angina, congestive heart failure, or arrhythmia.
- May cause a sudden drop in blood pressure, and can also have the effects of a strong sedative.
- Do not use on an empty stomach as it can cause nausea.
Fun Facts About Hawthorn Berries
- Believed by many Christians to be the plant that was used for the crown of thorns placed on Jesus’ head.