Schizandra / Schisandra Berries
Latin name: Schisandra chinensis
Health Benefits of Schizandra / Schisandra Berries
The berry itself is often called "five-flavor berry" because it possesses all five of the basic flavors of Chinese herbal medicine: salty, sweet, sour, spicy, and bitter. Having these flavors means that it can benefit all five yin organs: the liver, lungs, heart, kidneys, and spleen. Heath benefits include:
- Used to treat Alzheimer's because of the berry's ability to block formation of excess amyloid beta peptides in the brain. This helps memory fog and memory loss.
- Has anti-depressant qualities.
- Helps adrenals, thereby aiding in stress.
- Has adaptogen properties. This means that it’s able to help the body resist the effects of anxiety and stress, plus bolster the body’s defenses against disease.
- May play a beneficial role in treating certain respiratory disorders, including asthma.
- Contains compounds that alleviate oxidative stress on the liver and improve liver function and fight liver disease.
- Fights fatigue.
- Helps relieve menopausal symptoms.
- Aids mental clarity and energy.
- Provides a calming effect, promoting sleep.
- Improves cellular function.
Nutritional Benefits of Schizandra / Schisandra Berries
- Contains Vitamin A, B, C, and E.
How to Use Schizandra / Schisandra Berries
- Usually used in capsules or mixed in smoothies.
Cautions and Side Effects of Schizandra / Schisandra Berries
- You should not use schisandra if you digestive issues.