Latin name: Urtica dioica
Health Benefits of Nettle Leaf
Nettle is a very nutritious plant also known as Stinging Nettle. It strengthens and tones the entire system and is a very versatile herb. It can also be used in foods much like spinach, and it makes a tasty tea. Nettle is one herb you never want to be without. Health benefits include:
- Contains bitter compounds that help increase the flow of urine. This makes it a great herb for liver and kidney health. It increases the efficiency and function of these organs. For this reason it is often used to treat urinary tract infections.
- Like many bitter herbs, nettle is a blood purifier. This makes it a great treatment for anemia.
- Is widely known for stimulating hair growth, and can be used to restore natural color to hair when used in as a shampoo. It makes a great hair and scalp tonic.
- Contains astringent compounds that shrink inflamed tissues and stops bleeding. This makes it great for many inflammatory skin conditions.
- Has been used to treat inflamed prostate or “prostitis.”
- Because it is a great diuretic, it is good to treat water retention (edema) and also gout.
- Contains natural antihistamines and anti-inflammatories (including quercetin), that open up constricted bronchial and nasal passages. Nettle is the best herb for seasonal allergies and hay fever.
- Useful for growing pains in children.
- Alleviates the symptoms of PMS and menopause.
- Excellent reproductive tonic.
Nutritional Benefits of Nettle Leaf
- Contains good amounts of Vitamin C and A.
- Is very high in chlorophyll content.
- Contains many bio-available minerals such as iron, calcium, silicon, potassium, magnesium, protein, and dietary fiber.
How to Use Nettle Leaf
- Use in tea and tincture combinations. It makes a great tasting tea.
- It is great when added in small amounts to culinary dishes such as salads, meat dishes, stir fry, vegetables, to add nutritional value to the foods.
Cautions and Side Effects of Nettle Leaf
- Safe during pregnancy, while nursing, and safe for children.
Fun Facts About Nettle Leaf
- A good remedy for nettle sting is fresh bruised Yellow Dock.