Latin name: Ulmus rubra
Health Benefits of Slippery Elm Bark Powder
Slippery Elm is a mild-flavored, highly nutritious herb. Some have considered storing it for times of famine. It is used for all inflammation both internal and external. It is also used in many combinations and poultices because of its cohesive quality that helps hold the other herbs together. Health benefits include:
- Is a great contact healer both internally and externally, since it coats, relaxes, and heals all inflamed tissues including irritated and inflamed mucous membranes of the stomach, bowels, and kidneys.
- Soothes a sore throat.
- Strong mucilaginous herb that helps absorb toxins in the bowel. This makes it a good treatment for diarrhea, bowel weakness, and is just soothing for the entire intestinal tract.
- Contains astringent compounds that shrink inflamed tissues. This makes it good to use for asthma, bronchitis, colitis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- Great to use at the first sign of tooth decay. Putting a little powder onto the tooth will stop the pain and prevent further decay.
- Great to use on boils, burns, cuts, rashes, and any other skin irritation or wound.
How to Use Slippery Elm Bark Powder
- Great to mix with water or juice, but be sure to use a blender, whisk, or shake in a bottle.
- Can be used in encapsulated form.
- Can be used externally as a poultice.
- Has been used as a flour extender in many recipes.
- Since the herb is slightly sweet, it is one that children will often take readily if it is mixed in some cereal, applesauce, or fruit juice. You can also blend it with fruit juice and use it to make a “mock” chocolate drink by mixing it with hot milk and honey.
- A great cough remedy is 1 Tablespoon Slippery Elm, 1 teaspoon of Cinnamon Powder, 1 cup warm water, and 1 Tablespoon honey processed in a blender.
Cautions and Side Effects of Slippery Elm Bark Powder
- Should be taken with LOTS of water.
- Safe for those who are pregnant, nursing, and is safe for children.
- No known drug interactions.
Fun Facts About Slippery Elm Bark Powder
- One of the common uses of slippery elm is in the making of burial caskets.