Barberry Root Bark Powder
Latin name: Berberis vulgaris
Health Benefits of Barberry Root Bark Powder
Barberry Root Bark helps boost the immune system, fight bacterial infection, and to treat liver disorders. Health benefits include:
- Used to treat many biliary disorders such as gallbladder disease, heartburn, and is also good for many liver complaints due to its ability to increase bile.
- Used to treat diarrhea and can be a good remedy for people suffering from dysentery or cholera.
- Used to reduce fever, improve appetite and relieve upset stomach.
- Been shown to inhibit the growth of bacteria in test tubes, and also may help the immune system function better.
- Helps to dilate blood vessels which can help to lower blood pressure, slow rapid heartbeat, slow breathing, and reduce bronchial constriction.
- Used to ease inflammation and infection of the urinary (bladder and urinary tract infections), gastrointestinal and respiratory tracts (sore throats, nasal congestion, sinusitis, and bronchitis), as well as yeast infections.
- Often used in the same way as Goldenseal because they both contain the chemical berberine, which has been shown to inhibit the growth of bacteria in test tubes, and may also help the immune system function better.
Nutritional Benefits of Barberry Root Bark Powder
Contains thiamine, vitamin C, beta-carotene, lutein, chromium, cobalt, and zinc.
How to Use Barberry Root Bark Powder
- Can be used in teas and tinctures, but is easiest to use when in encapsulated form.
Cautions and Side Effects of Barberry Root Bark Powder
- Adults should limit use to 7 consecutive days at a time, waiting at least a week before using it again. This gives the natural, helpful bacteria of the intestine a chance to recover.
- Taking vitamin B6 supplements can give resistance to barberry.
- For children, barberry should be given no more than 3 consecutive days, followed by a day without the herb.
- Not recommended for women who are pregnant or breastfeeding.