Latin name: Stachys officinalis
Health Benefits of Wood Betony
Wood Betony is somewhat rare at present, but for centuries it was actually considered one of the most useful herbs around. This is a fantastic herb for nervous system health. Other benefits include:
- Great for treating symptoms from headaches or other facial pain.
- Can be used to treat nosebleeds either alone or combined with Yarrow Flowers.
- Is good to take for health of the nervous system. It can also help to calm nerves, and promotes relaxation.
- Has been used among Native American cultures as an aphrodisiac.
- Is great in combination with other herbs to help relieve pain from sinusitis.
- Great to use as an astringent due to tannins in the herb. For this reason it is good to use as a poultice to help heal wounds and bruises.
- Because of its relaxing effect, it is good for treating symptoms of PMS.
- Contains bitter properties that can help to aid digestion. These properties are also good for liver health.
- Great treatment for mouth ulcers and sore, inflamed gums when used as a mouthwash/gargle.
How to Use Wood Betony
- Can be used externally as a poultice or a wash.
- Can be used in tincture form.
- Can be used as a gargle/mouthwash.
- Can be used as a tea or used in wine.
Cautions and Side Effects of Wood Betony
- Do not use if pregnant as it is a mild uterine stimulant in high doses. Do not use if nursing.
Fun Facts About Wood Betony
- In the Middle Ages wood betony was considered a "charm" that could help ward off evil spirits and keep them from bringing disease to a household.