Latin name: Senna alexandrina
Health Benefits of Senna Leaf
Senna Leaf is most commonly used as a laxative or a weight loss aid. Health benefits include:
- Stimulates bowel movements to relieve constipation.
- May relieve discomfort associated with hemorrhoids.
- May boost metabolism and promote weight loss, but using it for this reason is not recommended.
- Used as a detox tea based on its ability to eliminate toxins in the digestive system to improve nutrient absorption and metabolism.
- Linked to reducing symptoms of indigestion, including heartburn, nausea and bloating.
How to Use Senna Leaf
- Usually used as a tea by itself or in tea blends.
Cautions and Side Effects of Senna Leaf
- Senna is not recommended for frequent or long-term use, as it may alter normal bowel tissue function and cause laxative dependence.
- The most common side effects are stomach cramps, nausea, and diarrhea. However, these symptoms are usually mild and tend to resolve relatively quickly.
- Senna is meant to serve as a short-term constipation remedy. You shouldn’t use it for more than 7 consecutive days unless otherwise directed by your healthcare provider.
- May interfere with pharmaceuticals, so ask your doctor before using if you are on any medication.
- If you have heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), or liver disease, you should consult your healthcare provider prior to taking any senna product, as it may exacerbate these conditions.
- Not for use if pregnant or breastfeeding.