Bayberry Root Bark
Latin name: Myrica cerifera
Health Benefits of Bayberry Root Bark
Bayberry is a bitter astringent and aromatic herb that stimulates circulation, increases perspiration, and controls bacterial infection. Health benefits include:
- Bayberry is used for varicose veins and internally for colds, flu, fever, bleeding gums, and sore throat. It is also used for excessive mucus, colitis, and excessive or heavy menstruation.
- It is excellent to use in the early stages of infection, as it contains myricitrin, which exhibits antibiotic activity against a wide range of bacteria.
- For external use, the traditional use of bayberry is for itching skin, ulcers, sores, dandruff, and hair loss.
- Bayberry is used in the treatment of digestive ailments such as diarrhea, food poisoning, chronic gastritis, and dysentery. It is often combined with Ginger for the treatment of digestive problems.
How to Use Bayberry Root Bark
- Use as a poultice for external use. When using internally, the encapsulated form is best.
Fun Facts About Bayberry Root Bark
- Bayberry is best known for its fragrance, which is used in the production of scented Christmas candles.